Tuesday 18 December 2007

Of missing bikes and drunk mates...

As I moved into Oxford and bought a bicycle, the one advice I was repeatedly given was, "Secure it! Do not leave it in suspect areas overnight, secure or not. Use at least two locks to secure it..." Cycle theft in Oxford is rampant, and accordingly I invested in two locks, and make sure I use both whenever (and wherever) I leave my bike. The locks cost about half as much as the bike did, but then the insurance and peace of mind was perhaps necessary. I know of at least a couple of my classmates whose bikes have been stolen in the last couple of months.

This morning Seb and I decided to cycle into town to take care of a couple of things, and as we walked down into the basement to collect our bicycles, we found Seb's was missing. He couldn't recollect where his bike was, and thought it may be at school, though he couldn't remember putting it there. After some thought about when he had cycled last, he realised it may have been Thursday.

Now Thursday was a wild day (and night - see this)...though I indulged myself for sixteen straight hours, Seb had to leave for London the next morning and so headed home at about six. He cycled home, but stopped at a nearby Pizzeria on the way. He was apparently too drunk to remember he had cycled in and not walked, left his bike locked to a lamp post, and walked the rest of the way home.

Nearly five days later, we were not optimistic at all about finding his bike. We walked towards the Pizzeria anyway, and surprise surprise, his bike was still there - falling over and on one wheel, but very much there. Still secure on one lock, it had not been vandalised, either.

I guess stranger things have happened...


Top

No comments: