Monday 20 August 2007

Another step taken

Well, one more tick in the to-do list as regards preparation for the MBA and the move to Oxford. Classmate-to-be Varun and I have finalised a flat in Jericho, Oxford - 10 mins walk from the school and 10 mins from the city centre. Though the flat is going to blow a hole in my budget, the location and the quality of the flat are excellent - at least we will be able to live reasonably for the entire year.

The hunt is now on for a third person to share with us, so that, in Varun's words, we do not end up eating instant noodles for the entire year.

In my two visits to Oxford for the purpose of viewing rooms and flats, I hadn't realised just how difficult it was to find parking spots (even of the pay & display kind). Almost all street parking is for residents only, and one has to display the parking permit in the car. One could use the Park & Ride, which allows you to park in car parks just outside the city and to use free buses into the city. Very convenient, if one wasn't going around the city visiting multiple locations. But for my purpose, it was a no go. So I drove into the city on both occasions - and boy, did I struggle!

I was due to meet the property agent at Venneit Close, and drove there, thinking I should be okay parking for a few minutes. The agent, however, warned me against doing so - it would be risking a £100 fine and perhaps even another fee to remove any clamps. Just as I was wondering how to get around the problem a solution turned up in the guise of a future classmate at SBS. Mark was at Venneit to view the same property, and he very kindly offered to stand and guard the car while I was in the property, viewing it. Many thanks, Mark! I owe you a drink.

I was luckier at the other properties when one landlord gave me a temporary parking permit or when I could park at the agency's office and walk to the flat. At a third I was lucky to find a slot where I could park for 30 mins. The only other option was to park in one of the city centre's car parks and to leg it from there.

Top

No comments: