Tuesday 4 September 2007

Four weeks to go...

There are still nearly 4 weeks to go before I formally join the MBA programme at Oxford, but the already frenetic pace of activity is a sure indication of what things are going to be like for the rest of the year.

Now that some of the major activities with regard to first, securing a place at the school, and then organising the move to Oxford have been taken care of, I'd though I would be able to relax a bit until the 24th of the month, when I intend to make a move towards Oxford.

I'd thought wrong.

The school intranet and the incoming student portal is already red hot with activity. My diary for the week before I formally join already has a number of entries: a talk on emerging markets on the 24th, student induction programmes at the University on the 26th and 27th; a lecture by George David, CEO and Chairman of United Technologies Corporation on the 28th; The Oxford Pursuit, an exercise to familiarise us with Oxford and with our classmates, on the 29th; and a family event on the 30th. Between all this, I move into my flat on the 28th and resolve related paperwork; buy essentials for the flat; meet my prospective flatmates, classmates and school staff; meet with Barclays personnel to complete my loan application paperwork, open an account and make the final fee payment to the school; formally register with Mansfield college and collect my university and library cards, meet up with people in the MCR...you get the idea.

Evenings, hopefully, will be more relaxed (post the couple of lectures) and will be spent spending time with future classmates and establishing relationships over food and drink.

Meanwhile we have already been given a pre-course exercise on Financial Reporting, an exercise it has been suggested we do at least 5 times! Given my non-financial background I guess it will be very much needed.

Top

No comments: